Last week, I got the opportunity to meet a distinguished athlete at the Unilab Run United for Wellness primer. He is no other than Coach Rio dela Cruz. He is mainly a runner but his many achievements supercede his runner status. He has joined several marathons both locally and abroad and have been clocked with very impressive time results.
He is popularly known as Coach Rio, because he is a sought-after coach by celebrities and personalities. Some of his clients include Iza Calzado, Karel Marquez, Anthony Pangilinan, Karen Davila and Piolo Pascual. His healthy outlook and achievements have also landed him endorsements such as Nike, Timex & Nature Valley.
When I mentioned to him that I occasionally jog at the Marikina Sports Center, I was susprised that he is very familiar with the place because during his early years, he trained at the Marikina Sports Center, where he later on met his high school coach. In fact he even told me that he lives in Vista Valley, exactly 100 meters away from the Marikina Sports Center via Sumulong Highway.
Currently, Coach Rio's next event is organizing the Unilab Run United for Wellness for the benefit of Children’s Hour and K.I.D.S. Foundation. The Unilab Run United for Wellness will take place at the Bonifacio Global City, Taguig on March 7.
COACH RIO’S PROFILE
- Graduate of the University of the Philippines (Bachelor of Physical Education)
- U.P. Varsity Track and Field Team Coach
- Former UAAP Record holder (10km & 1,500m) P.R.
- Former Member of the National Team
- Event Organizer (Run United for Wellness, Kenny’s Urbanite Run, 2009 Timex Run: Time is Running, Men’s Health Urbanathlon, Greenfield Cityscape Run, among many others)
- Running coach
For more details on Coash Rio, you may visit his website at http://www.runrio.com